Who doesn’t love a good sale? Offering discount codes are a great way to get a potential client’s foot in the door.
Not only are you creating an incentive to buy your services but you’ve made a positive first impression towards your business, which is a great strategy to bring in more clients and drive sales.
Be creative while also creating a sense of urgency with limited-time seasonal discounts such as “WINTERWARRIORS” and “SPRINGSPRINTERS"!
Creating a discount code for a New Product Versus an Existing Product?
- For new products, discount codes will take effect at the time of purchase or when a trainer applies a code to the client’s account.
- For existing Products, discount codes will take effect as of the next billing date. This means that the discount code will only apply to any future invoices, and not to any existing ones. For example, if a client has an invoice that's already been generated and is overdue. There won't be a way to apply a discount code to the currently overdue invoice
You can choose exactly which products your discount codes apply to. Apply them to one or multiple products and say hello to 100% control over how much you charge for your services.
There are also options to set the maximum number of times a coupon can be redeemed across all clients, and an option to limit redemptions to once per client.
Creating a Discount Code
In Payments, click on Discount Codes in the left navigation menu.
Click the + New button in the Discount Codes toolbar.
- In the dialogue pop-up, start creating a discount code by choosing a unique name made up of letters and numbers only. You could also use our code generator to use a unique code that we will generate for you!
- Choose a discount type (percent or amount off) and enter the discount value. If it exceeds the product price that it's applied to, the product will be free.
- Choose a duration type for the discount code:
The entire duration of the product: This discount code is valid for the entire length of the product. You can use this discount code for one-time or recurring products. When applied to recurring products, the discount will apply for each billing cycle.
First billing cycle only: When applied to recurring products, the discount code will only apply to the first billing cycle. After that, the full price will be charged. When applied to one-time upfront products, because there is only one billing cycle, the discount code will apply to the entire duration of the product.
Valid for: When applied to recurring products, the discount code will apply to each billing cycle that falls within the select number of days, weeks, months or years. After that, the full price will be charged. When applied to one-time upfront products, because there is only one billing cycle, the discount code will apply to the entire duration of the product, even if that extends beyond the time in which the discount code is valid.
- Select which Product you want the Discount Code to apply to. You can either choose "All Products" or "Specific Products". Upon selecting "Specific Products" you will be prompted to select the Product(s) you want that discount code to work for.
Select any Usage Limits you wish to apply. Total maximum redemptions allows you to control how many times the discount code can be redeemed. The limit to one redemption per client will only allow each client to use that discount code one time.
- Set a redeem-by date if you want to put an expiry date on the discount code's usage. This only limits when the discount code can be attached to a product, and not the duration of the applied discount.
Deleting a Discount Code
- Click on the Payments tab.
- Select Discount Codes from the sidebar menu.
- Check the box next to the code you wish to remove.
- Click the garbage can icon to delete the Discount Code from Trainerize.
Running a free trial with Discount Codes
Discount codes are only effective for running a free trial if the amount of time you want to give for the trial is the same as at a minimum, one billing cycle.
For example, if you want to give a one-month trial for a product that bills monthly or a two-week trial for a product that bills every two weeks.
The reason this is the case is that the shortest duration of a discount is one billing cycle. As a result, you can never discount less than a single billing cycle.
If you wish to provide a trial with a duration that's shorter than the billing cycle of a main product (for example, a seven-day trial for a product that bills monthly), you will need to first sell them a "trial product" before selling them the main product.
For the trial product, it's recommended that you use our Free Product feature!
- Applying & Removing Discount Codes
- How do I apply a coupon code to my Trainerize account?
- Embedding discount codes in payment links
This article was last updated on