Trainerize has a large exercise library in its system that trainers can use when building workouts. However, some trainers prefer their own custom-made exercises and we made it possible to create them in Trainerize. In order for custom-made exercises to be properly used in the workouts later on, and have clients track their performance properly, it is important that the exercise type is properly defined.
Here is an explanation of all types of exercises we have defined that can help you in building your own custom exercise or when choosing from Trainerize library.
There are 7 types of exercise in the Trainerize app:
- General (Display Only, e.g. Stretches) exercise
- Endurance (Reps, e.g. Burpees) exercise
- Strength (Reps x Weights, e.g. Squats) exercise
- Cardio (e.g. Running) exercise
- Timed (Longer Better, e.g. Planks) exercise
- Timed (Faster Better, e.g. Sprints) exercise
- Timed Strength (Seconds x Weights, e.g. Weighted Wall Sits) exercise
1. General (Display Only, e.g. Stretches) exercise
This type of exercise is usually used for warmup blocks, stretching or anything else that does not involve tracking. You can set targets on this like Groiners (5 reps on each side) or Lying Piriformis Stretch (do 1 minute).
2. Endurance (Reps, e.g. Burpees) exercise
This type of exercise is usually used for any kind of exercise that counts reps. You can set targets like this Push-up (20 reps) or Burpees (1 minute).
3. Strength (Reps x Weights, e.g. Squats) exercise
This is probably the most common type of exercise trainers use in their workout, and you track reps and weight. Strength exercise includes external equipment that the client should use (such as dumbbells, kettlebells, etc) when building strength through repetition.
You can set targets like
- Barbell bench press, 3 sets, 8-10 reps @ 45kg
- Dumbbell shoulder press, 4 sets, 10,8,6,4 reps, going heavier with each set
- Romanian deadlift, 4 sets, 20 reps, ensure to keep your spine straight!
- Kettlebell swing, 4 sets, 16kg AMRAP in 30s (as many reps as possible)
4. Cardio (e.g. Running) exercise
Cardio exercises are, as the name suggests, exercises that work the cardiovascular system. It is advised to use one of our system cardio activity types (ie. running, cycling, stairclimber) but if you need to create blocks of cardio exercises, here are the data your clients will track:
5. Timed (Longer Better, e.g. Planks) exercise
This type of exercise tracks the length of time held and for how long the client can hold a certain movement.
6. Timed (Faster Better, e.g. Sprints) exercise
This type of exercise is similar to the cardio one but with the difference that the emphasis here is in timing and how fast the client can perform a certain movement.
7. Timed Strength (Seconds x Weights, e.g. Weighted wall sits) exercise
This type of exercise is a combination of cardio and strength one but with the difference that the emphasis here is in timing and how long with how much weight the client can perform a certain movement.
These different types of exercises can cover every type of workout or way how trainers train their clients.
- How do I search for exercises?
- Add Custom Exercise Directly Through Mobile App
- How do I create Supersets in my workouts?
- How do I add my own custom exercises?
This article was last updated on