If you're having issues with MyFitnessPal we recommend taking the following steps to identify the root cause of the issue.
Before you begin the troubleshooting, ensure you have enabled and connected the MyFitessPal integration. This article goes over how to connect your MyFitnessPal to Trainerize.
If you have confirmed that you have connected the MyFitnessPal integration but are still having difficulty, please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:
Step 1: Check Myfitnesspal's Uptime Status
Now and then, Myfitnesspal may experience interruptions with their API, which we rely upon to pull your client's nutrition information. Please check Myfitnesspal's current status to see if they are experiencing any issues with their services.
If there are no current or recent issues with Myfitnesspal, continue to step 2.
Step 2: Uninstall/Reinstall the Apps, Reconnect MyFitnessPal, and Ensure Your MyFitnessPal Diary Sharing is Set to "Public"
If you are having difficulty connecting MyFitnessPal or having meals sync over, we recommend that you fully disconnect and reconnect the integration to ensure the syncing connection is valid.
On top of this, your MyFitnessPal diary must be set to "Public". Sometimes the integration can be connected, but if the MyFitnessPal Diary sharing is not set to public, no information will be pulled over.
In this process, please follow the steps below in sequence to ensure your integration is connected and that the MyFitnessPal Diary is public.
- First, please disconnect the MyFitnessPal from the Trainerize App:
- Log out and delete the MyFitnessPal cache (Clear the cache of your iPhone or Clear Cache on Android Devices) and uninstall the MFP and Trainerize App.
- Reinstall Trainerize and log back into your account.
- Reconnect the MyFitnessPal integration by going to the Settings (the three 3 dots on the bottom right corner of the app) -> MyFitnessPal -> Sync now on the Trainerize app.
- Reinstall the MyFitnessPal app, log in and confirm the food entries on the diary itself are correct.
- On MyFitnessPal, ensure the Diary Sharing settings are set to public:
- Double-check that the Diary is public on the web browser version of MyFitnessPal: My Home -> Settings -> Diary Settings -> Diary Sharing -> Set to "Public" and click Save Changes.
- Back on the Trainerize App, manually sync the MyFitnessPal data to Trainerize by going to More (The 3 dots on the bottom right corner of the app) -> MyFitnessPal -> Ensure Diary Syncing is enabled -> Sync Now.
If you've gone through those steps and you are still unable to see your Myfitnesspal nutrition data on Trainerize, continue to step 3.
Step 3: Check the Minimum Daily Calorie Goal
Myfitnesspal will not sync if the calories you have entered for the day are below a level they have termed "Unhealthy". MyFitnessPal automatically has a minimum daily calorie goal of 1,200 calories per day for women and 1,500 calories per day for men. These minimums, based on recommendations from the National Institutes of Health, ensure that those using the app to try to lose weight do so safely and get enough essential nutrients to prevent malnutrition.
Please ensure that at least on at least one of the days you are trying to sync (e.g., yesterday) that the logged nutrition data on MyFitnessPal itself is above the recommended threshold (Male - over 1500 calories / Female - over 1200 calories). If not, you can edit the MyFitnessPa entry and click the button to "Complete this entry". It may take a few minutes, but your calories should now sync over to Trainerize.
If you've gone through those steps and you are still unable to see your Myfitnesspal nutrition data on Trainerize, continue to step 4.
Step 4: Unlink Facebook Sign-On and Use Email to Log In Instead
If you have set up your MFP account using your Facebook account as your login credentials, you will need to unlink this momentarily and create an email sign in by following the steps below:
From the Web
Log into your account on our website at www.myfitnesspal.com. If you are a mobile app user, you should log in using the same username and password you use in the app.
Click "My Home" then "Settings" then "Facebook/Twitter sharing settings: and click "Disconnect" in the Facebook section.
From the Android, iPad and iPhone MFP app:
In the Menu (or "More" page) tap "Settings" then "Sharing & Privacy" then tap "Facebook Settings" then "Disconnect from Facebook".
If you created your account using your Facebook login, you will be prompted to enter a new MyFitnessPal password. You will need to log in using your registered email address and MyFitnessPal password from then on.
If you've gone through those steps and you are still unable to see your Myfitnesspal nutrition data on Trainerize, continue to step 5.
Step 5: Double-check That the Account Connected is the Correct MyFitnessPal Account
We have seen instances where users have connected the wrong Myfitnesspal account to their Trainerize account.
To ensure you have the correct Myfitnesspal account connected, please go through the following steps:
- Log into your Myfitnesspal app
- Press the "More" icon
- Press "My Profile" from the menu options
- Press "Edit Profile"
- Ensure the email address is the same one you entered when syncing Myfitnesspal to Trainerize
- If the email address is different, disconnect Myfitnesspal from Trainerize and sync with your correct Myfitnesspal account
Once this is complete, please follow Step 2 to fully disconnect and reconnect the MyFitnessPal integration.
If you've gone through those steps and you are still unable to see your Myfitnesspal nutrition data on Trainerize, continue to step 6.
Step 6: Issues Persist After Going Through All Steps Above
If you have followed all of the steps above and Myfitnesspal is still not syncing your nutrition data to Trainerize, please reach out to us by emailing email@example.com with the following information:
- Name and email used to log into your Trainerize account.
- The make, model, and current operating system of your phone.
- Trainerize application version number. Ex. Trainerize 7.28.0
- Screenshots or videos of the issue or error messages
Step 7: Alternative Options
Changing the meal tracker from MyFitnessPal to In-App.
In the Clients tab, select your clients from the grid that you wish to assign the In-app meal tracker to.
From the three dot menu at the top of the screen, select Change meal tracker and select In this app and then Full meal tracking.
- How does a client connect MyFitnessPal to Trainerize?
- How to Monitor Client Nutrition with MyFitnessPal
- How to Create a Nutrition Goal for a Client
- How to Measure Workout and Nutrition Compliance with Auto Client Tags
- How to manually sync data from MyFitnessPal into Trainerize
This article was last updated on